Finances can be a significant barrier in the pursuit of education. The State Governments with the support of the Government of India are making sincere efforts in this direction. Hence, they are launching many schemes and introducing various scholarship programs. The Government of West Bengal has recently introduced the beneficiary scheme of Student Credit Card with the same aim. The Students will receive a credit card to avail of education loans up to Rs.10 lakh from the government at a nominal interest rate. Know more about the scheme here in the following article.
Table of Contents
WB Student Credit Card Scheme (WBSCC) 2023
The Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamta Banerjee on 24 June 2021 decided to launch the West Bengal Student Credit Card scheme (WBSCC) in the cabinet meeting. It was finally launched on 30 June. The government consulted a lot of educational bodies regarding the implementation of the scheme and concluded that the maximum limit of the loan will be Rs. 10 Lakhs. The rate of interest is as nominal as 4% per annum for simple interest on the loan amount. The State Cooperative Bank and its affiliated banks will lend the loan to them. The students will receive a credit card to pay for their educational expenses. The amount they will withdraw will be the loan amount.
Highlights of student credit card West Bengal
|West Bengal Student Credit Card
|Department of Higher Education
|CM Mamta Banerjee
|31 June 2021
|To issue credit cards so
|Students in West Bengal
|Students must be in Class 10 or above
|Upper Age Limit
|Rs. 10 Lakhs
|Rate of Interest
|4% per annum
|State Cooperative Bank and its affiliated banks
Objective of the WBSCC Scheme
The prime objective of launching this scheme was to make sure that each student can easily avail of the education loans. The process of applying for an education loan is very complex and involves a lot of terms and conditions. Due to this, most students are unable to gather the courage to apply for a loan and end up giving up their dreams. Thus, to ensure that every student can fulfill their dreams and get the best education, this scheme was launched. Since the students can directly pay using a credit card, it will be easy for the government to track expenditures.
Benefits Provided under the student credit card
The students will be able to avail of the following benefits from the WBSCC scheme:
- The main benefit of the scheme is that the students will get a card which they can easily use to pay for their educational expenditures.
- It can be used for both local or abroad education.
- The application is very simple and hassle-free as compared to regular banks application.
- Moreover, the money will be safe and secure since only the card could be used for payment purpose.
- The students will never get burdened because they have a time period of 15 years to pay for the loan amount and additionally a concession of 1% in interest will be awarded if the student is able to repay in the given time.
- This will further promote higher education and students will take up every opportunity they might get since they will be financially backed up.
- The students can not only use the loan amount for studying the higher classes but also for competetive exams like IAS, IPS, CAT, JEE, GATE, NDA, etc.
Other popular schemes in West Bengal
- Bangla Sahayata Kendra (BSK) Apply Online
- Laxmi Bhandar Payment Status wbcdwdsw.gov.in
- Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Apply Online
- West Bengal Karmo Bhumi
- Health Scheme Online Enrollment of Employer & Pensioner
- WB Joy Bangla Pension Scheme Online Registration Form
- Jai Johar Bandhu Prakalpa Scheme Application Form
- WB Karmai Dharma Scheme Apply Online
- West Bengal OASIS Scholarship
- Chaa Sundari Scheme
Features of WB student credit card
The following are the features of the scheme:
- The sanctioned loan amount will be Rs. 10 Lakhs.
- This amount can be used for local or abroad financial expenses.
- The loan will be lent to all students in West Bengal who wish to pursue higher education.
- The rate of interest is nominal of 4% per annum.
- The State Cooperative Bank and its affiliated Central Cooperative Banks and District Central Cooperative Banks and Public/ Private Sector Banks will sanction the loan amount.
- The period for repayment includes Moratorium or repayment holiday and is15 years.
- 1% concession will be awarded to the students who will be able to repay in the given time period.
Student credit card west bengal Eligibilty Criteria
Students who clear the given eligibility criteria will be able to get the credit card for scholarship in West Bengal:
- Student should be a resident of West Bengal.
- The student should have lived/is living in the state for at least 10 years
- The student should be in Class 10 or higher
- The age of the student must be less than 40 years
- The student aims at pursuing education
- Must possess all the important documents
Documents Required for the WBSCC application from
The candidate must possess the following documents for being able to receive the benefits under the scheme:
- Passport sized photograph of applicant in jpeg or jpg format within size range 20 KB-50 KB.
- Passport sized photograph of co applicant in jpeg or jpg format within size range 20 KB-50 KB.
- Digital or scanned Signature of the student in jpeg or jpg format within size range 10KB-50KB.
- Digital or scanned Signature of the co applicant in jpeg or jpg format within size range 10KB-50KB.
- For Identity Proof: Aadhar Card or Admit Card for 10th standard exam of the student in the form of a pdf file of maximum size 400KB and minimum size 50KB.
- Address Proof of the Guardian of the student in the form of a pdf file of maximum size 400KB and minimum size 50KB.
- Admission receipt format within size range 50KB-400KB.
- The PAN card of the student or an undertaking in case the student doesn’t have one in form of pdf of size not more than 400KB and at least 50KB.
- The PAN card of the guardian or an undertaking in case the guardian doesn’t have one in form of pdf of size not more than 400KB and at least 50KB.
- The document or fee slip or brochure that proves the expense which needs to be covered through the loan.
The government has clarified certain points before a student applies for the card:
- The student will have to attach the proof of the expense and the course he/she wishes to pursue at the present moment. Like a student in Class XI who wishes to study masters in Abroad will have to apply for the card at that time and not immidiately.
- The student cannot apply for a credit card to compensate previous expenditures. A student in MBA eho has already paid all the fees cannot apply for loan for something that has been already paid.
- Credit card will cover one fee at time, this means that the student cannot apply for loan for the regular as well as coaching. For example a student in graduation who is preparing for UPSC exam cannot pay the fee of both the college and the coaching center using the card. The card can cover either expense.
Services of WBSCC
The West Bengal Student Credit Card Scheme offers the following services on its online portal:
- Information about the scheme
- Student Registration
- User Manual
- Administrator Login
- Contact Us
Credit Card Scheme Student Registration
To register for the West Bengal Credit Card Scheme, follow the procedure given below:
- Visit the official website of wbscc.wb.gov.in.
- On the home page of the website, select “Student Registration”.
- A registration form will open up. Fill in all the required feilds marked with “*”.
- Enter the Basic details, Present Course Details and Contact Details.
- Create a password for yor account.
- Press “Register”.
- User ID and Password will be generated on the registered mobile. Use them as login credentials.
To log into the portal to complete the application in the dashboard, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official portal of the WBSCC and click on “Login”.
- A login form web page will open up.
- Use the login credentials received on the registered mobile number to sign up.
- Enter the applicant ID, Password, and the captcha code that is given on the screen.
- Press “Login” for successful login on the portal.
Credit Card Scheme Application PDF
Once the user logs into the portal, he/she can complete the application by filling the form available in the dashboard. Enter the details given below to fill the form. The boxes marked with “*” denote compulsory details. The applicants who will not fill in these details, will not be able to apply. Those who do not have the necessary information are certainly ineligible to apply for the card. They need to fill in the following details:
- Details of the applicant such as mobile number, email, ID and more.
- Details of the co-applicant, for example, the name of the co applicant, relation with the applicant, address, etc.
- Present and Permanent address details of the applican t. In case, both the address are same, click the same as presennt option.
- The details of the course or educational program for which the student wishes to apply.
- Details of the income of the student’s family.
- Details of the bank account of the student.
After filling in all the above-mentioned information, the applicant will have to upload the documents of the applicable sizes. After that, he/she must carefully review the application because once submitted, the credit card will be issued on the same information. Save the application and then submit it.
Forgot Application ID/Password
In case if the applicant forgets the login credentials that is User ID or the password, he/she can easily recover it on the portal. The person will just have to select the login option and click on the “Forgot Applicant ID/Password” and a recovery form will open up. Select the log in detail which has to be retrieved.
- Applicant ID: If the user wishes to recover the User ID, select the option of “Applicant ID” in the what to retrieve dropdown list. Another dropdown list will be visible. Select the status of issuance of the aadhar card. If the user has an Aadhar Card, select Yes and enter the number of the card. If the applicant did not use an aadhar card to register, select No. Further, two more dropdown lists will appear. Select the board through which the student appeared in the exam. Also, select the year of passing the exam. Enter the registration number. After the ID Type is finalised, enter the captcha code given on the screen. Click on Submit and the Applicant ID will be available on the screen.
- Password: Retreiving password is also a very simple procedure. Select the option ofg “Password” in the dtopdown list. Enter the User ID and get verified. Enter submit and the password will be availble to recover.
The users can easily download the information on the website by heading onto the download section. In the downloads dropbox, select the appropriate document or information that needed to be saved. The pdf will open up in another tab. Click on the icon to download the document.
Next Read for you:
- West Bengal Snehaloy Housing Scheme
- WB Kharif Paddy Procurement Scheme Registration Form
- Kanyashree Prakalpa Apply Online
- Swasthya Sathi Scheme Smart Card Apply Online
- WB Banglarbhumi Search banglarbhumi.gov.in Land Record
- Karma Sathi Prakalpa Scheme Application
- West Bengal Marriage Registration: Apply Online
- WB Digital Ration Card Apply Online
- Bangla Shasya Bima Yojana Registration & Login
- WB Caste Certificate Application Online
Download WB Credit Card Scheme User Manual
To download or view the User Manual, visit the official website of the scheme. On the homepage, tap on the “User Manual” option and select the only option of “Training Manual”. Another tab will open and the manual will be visible in a pdf format. Users can either read it directly or download it to save the file. Moreover, the option to print the file is also available and they can use that too.
To download or view the FAQs or Frequently Asked Questions, visit the official website of the scheme. On the homepage, tap on the “FAQs” option and select the language you wish to read the questions in. Another tab will open and the questions will be available as a pdf in the chosen language. Users can either read them directly on the page or download them to save the file for later. Moreover, the option to print the file is also available and they can use that too.
Adm administrator or any official can log into the portal too. They need to follow the following steps to sign-in on the portal:
- Visit the official website of wbscc.wb.gov.in.
- On the home page of the website, select “Administrator Login”.
- The Administrator Login form will open up.
- Use the login credentials issued b y authorities to ssign into the website.
- Select the types of user, that is, the post such as DPI or Director of Public Instruction, Dorectorate Officials, HED (DO, HED), etc.
- Enter the User ID, Password, and the captcha code that is given on the screen.
- Press “Login” to successfully log into the portal.
WB Credit Card Scheme helpline number
A specific helpdesk has been set up by the government to help the students who might face any technical or general issue while using the portal. The users can check the option of “Contact Us” on the portal and contact any of the given officials. The contact details are listed department-wise on the portal. The contact numbers of officers in the Department of Higher Education and the Institution Helpline are also available.
In general, the users can also use the toll-free helpline number 1800-102-8014 to talk to the special helpdesk for the WBSCC scheme or use mail support by sending a query at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.