As per the Registration of Births and Deaths (RBD) Act, 1969, registration of Birth and Death is compulsory in every state/UT of India. Apart from this, states also have their own rules for registration and issue of Birth & Death certificates which are also followed. When we talk about Karnataka, this process of Civil Registration is carried out as per the RBD Act, 1969 and Karnataka Registration of Birth and Death rules,1999 in the state. To make the registration process digital and convenient, eJanMa Karnakata was launched by the Karnataka State Government.
EjanMa is a web-based application implemented by the Government of Karnataka back in 2014 to cater to the need for online registration and recording of birth, death, and still, death events that occurred in the state. It was launched to record all the data of birth and death registration in a digital form and provide the same information to the public.
Table of Contents
eJanMa Karnataka is an online portal of the Government of Karnataka for providing information about all the digitally registered Birth, Death, and Still Births across the state of Karnataka. Citizens can register Births and Death and avail related certificates through this portal.
Managed by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Govt. of Karnataka, JanMa is one of the key elements that assure quality in Birth and Death statistics of the state. eJanma is a web portal that can be used by the operators/ officials for feeding information into the portal as well as by the public for collecting information. However, the login and related functions such as online registration on portal options are only available for the operators/ concerned registrars. Citizens can only check application status, reports, registration details, birth/death verification, and other information for which login is not required.
Overview of ejanma Karnataka
|Office of the Chief Registrar of Births and Deaths, Govt. of Karnataka
|Data Managed by
|Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Govt. of Karnataka
|Year of Implementation (Phase I)
|Users of the portal
|Registrar/Operators (Primary Users)
Public (Secondary User)
www ejanma karnataka gov in
eJanMa was initially (first phase) implemented in 2014 in Anekal taluk (Urban district) of
Bangalore and now ejanma Karnataka gov in is used across the state for registration of birth, deaths & stillbirths in both rural and urban areas. The data operators or registrars who upload birth/death registration information on the portal are the primary users of ttp//www.ejanma.karnataka.gov.in. The public of the state who seeks information about the birth and death certificates are the secondary users of this portal.
There is different machinery for the registration of these vital events (Births and Deaths) in both urban and rural areas of Karnataka. However, in the end, the registration data is uploaded on the EjanMa portal by the registrars in both areas. Registration is carried out by the registrars assigned by the government in each part of the state. Check the registration machinery in both Rural and Urban Areas mentioned below-
Village (Except converted Mandal Panchayats)
Primary Health Centre
Medical Officer Incharge
City Municipal Councils
Health Officer / Health Inspector
Notified Areas / Project Areas
Town Municipal Councils
Resident Medical Officer
Community Health Centres
This article holds each and every piece of information regarding the eJanMa portal, birth certificate & death certificates in Karnataka, its application/ registration process, necessary rules/act, registration process, etc. Those who are seeking information regarding the same can go through this ejanma kar article to get the details.
Benefits of eJanMa Portal Karnataka
eJanMa portal of Karnataka has made the registration system easy and accessible for citizens as well as for the government. Check some of the advantages of the eJanma portal mentioned below-
- Single portal for entire state brings uniformity
- Preservation of Birth & Death records in digital form
- Facilitates transparency in the registration Process
- Reduction in Manual work and data handling (for operators)
- Time Saving for both citizens and operators
- Accessible in both rural and urban areas of the state
Highlights of ejanma Registration System in Karnataka
Check the key points of the portal and the registration system given in this section-
- ejanma Karnataka provides information of all the digitally registered death, birth, and stillbirth events of the entire state.
- In case of events that are pending for approval, an SMS is sent to the mobile number of the Registrars/ Sub-registrars.
- After approval of the event, an SMS is sent to the mobile number of the informant.
- Public can verify the application status (related to correction & name inclusion) in e-JanMa portal.
- All Birth, Death and Still Birth events that occur in Sub Registration Units (which include all Govt. Health Inst.) are also registered in ejanma.kar portal by the Medical Officers. Certificates of these events are provided by the institutions itself.
- Events that occur in ULB (Urban Local Body) and BBMP areas are also registered in this portal. It is the responsibility of Health Officers & Health Inspectors to register the event of their respective areas in ejanma Karnataka gov in.
- Events that occur in rural areas of the state are also registered in ejanma Karnataka portal by the concerned officials i.e. Village Accountants. These events are registered through NadaKacheri.
- Events that occur in Private hospitals- these events reported to the respective registrar by the private hospital itself.
- Verification of genuineness of Birth & Death Certificates can be performed by the agencies such as Schools, Insurance Companies, Passport Offices etc.
- In case of any clarification related to this portal, users can contact District Statistical Officer of the district concerned.
- Inclusion of Child Name- For including name of the child in the birth certificate (if not included at the time of birth registration) citizens have to contact the respective registrars and sub-registrars.
- To obtain additional copies of the Birth or Death Certificate & for Corrections- One has to contact the Data Entry Operators (DEO) of the respective Nadakacheri & Registration centers.
ejanma Karnataka Birth & Death Certificates
Birth and death are the crucial events of the human life cycle and keeping a record of both the events become essential for citizens and government. The process of recording births & deaths and issuing certificates comes under the Civil Registration System in India.
A Birth Certificate is an important document issued at the time of birth of a child by the concerned authority as a record of birth and existence of the child. Similarly, a death certificate is a document that is issued to the relatives who are close to the deceased by the competent authority. It describes the cause of death and other related details.
Check the some of the key benefits of having a birth/ death certificate for the public shared below-
- Used as age proof for admission or employment.
- For school admissions
- For establishment of parentage.
- For Electoral Rolls/ Voter Id enrolment
- To establish age for insurance purposes.
- For registration on NRP (National Population Register)
- Death Certificate for claiming dues from Insurance
- For the inheritance of property
- In case of other legal matters
How to Apply for Birth/Death/StillBirth Certificate?
To apply for birth/ death or stillbirth certificates in Karnataka, citizens have to visit the registration centers in the respective areas. They have to fill the application forms which can be downloaded from ejanma portal or can directly visit the registration center for registration.
In case, these events occurred in any hospital or health institution, then citizens have to apply at the hospital/institution itself and a certificate will be provided there only. Applicants/ informants have to provide all the necessary information required in the application form. Links for downloading all the forms available one-Janma Portal are shared below.
The registration information provided by the informants or public is uploaded on ejanma portal. After approval and verification of the details, Certificates are issued to the public. If an appl
Note: Online Application facility through ejanma portal for Death/Birth/Still Birth Certificates is not available for public. Citizens can only view details and verify respective certificates through the portal.
Information Required for Birth Registration
For birth registration in eJanMa, Karnataka citizens have to fill the following information in the application form (Form1) at the Registration center to be filled in the-
- Date of Birth
- Time of Birth
- Gender of the child
- Name of Child (if any)
- Father Name
- Mother Name
- Parent’s Address at the time of birth
- Permanent Address of child
- Place of Birth
- Hospital Name & Address
- Name & Address of the Informants
- Details of Mother’s Residence
- Date of registration etc.
Information Required for Death Registration
To apply for the death certificate, one has to furnish the given information in the application form (i.e. in Form 2)-
- Date of Death
- Time of Death
- Name of the Deceased
- Father Name
- Mother Name
- Name of Husband/Wife
- Address of the deceased at the time of death
- Permanent Address of Deceased
- Place of Death (Hospital, House, Other Places, Not stated)
- Name & Address of the Informants
- Details of Residence of the deceased
eJanMa Birth/ Death Verification (For Citizens)
Citizens who have applied for certificates can check Birth/ Death verification through the portal. The procedure to check eJanMa Birth/Death Verification is given an under-
- Open e-JanMa Karnataka portal.
- Click on “Birth/Death Verification” link on the left side of the page.
- Now, search by clicking on Birth or Death as per the requirement. Enter Registration No., Date of birth/Date of date, captcha code, and click on “Search” button.
- Those who wish to search ULB (Urban Local Body) Data can click on the “Search ULB DATA Registration Date Before 01/07/2018” link given on the same page as shown in the picture below-
- Select the search option (Birth/Death) and fill other required details viz. District, Town, Registration No., Death/Birth Date, Captcha code and click on “Search” to proceed further.
- The Death/ Birth Certificate will display and citizens can check the verification of their certificates.
How to check EJanma Application Status (For Citizens)
After applying for birth/death certificates, applicants can also check the status of their application on the eJanMa portal. This facility on the e-portal helps the public to track the application status online without visiting the registration center. Have a look at the given steps to track the application status-
- Open E-Janma portal.
- Click on “Application Status” tab shown in the picture below.
Ejanma Registration Details (For Citizens)
This feature of Registration details on Ejanma provides statistics of the total number of Birth/Death and Still Birth registrations and the total number of approvals month-wise and year-wise. Follow the given instructions to check the registration details-
- On homepage of the portal, click on “Registration details”.
- Now, Registration details of all the registered events will open as shown in the picture. Once can check the total number of registrations, approvals for the particular duration. Citizens can click on the month or year option as per their choice to check the registration details.
- On the same page, if citizens wish to check the Certificate details, they can click on the respective link as shown below.
- Certificate details will open on the screen.
EJanMa Login (For Registrar/Operators)
ejanma Karnataka login link can be accessed only by the data operators or registrars and cannot be accessed by the public. At present, there is no provision for public login on the portal. Operators or Registrars can log in to the portal for Registration, Correction, Birth/Death Search, etc.
To login into the portal once can follow the given steps-
- Search eJanMa in browser.
- Click on the eJanMa official link i.e. ejanma.karnataka.gov.in. The link for the same is shared below.
- Click on the “Login” link given on the left side of the homepage.
- Enter the Login credentials which include UserName, Password, Captcha code and click on “Login” tab.
- After login, operators an proceed to further activities related to Birth/Death/Still Births registration, search on the portal.
How to reset Forget Password?
While logging into the portal, if an operator forgets his/her login password, then it can be easily retrieved by following the simple instructions mentioned below-
– To reset the Ejanma Login password, one has to write a request letter in the format specified by the authority. This letter should be written on the official letterhead (Sample below) and should also have the signature and seal of the officer concerned. Users have to send the scanned copy of this letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Users can also reset their login password by presenting the request letter to the District Statistical officer at the District Statistical Office.
After successful Login, an Operator can perform various operations in the ejanma Karnataka portal. Main operations are given below-
|Still Birth Registration
|Birth Free Copy
|Death Free Copy
Vital Statistic Report (For Citizens)
Using this service of ejanma kar, citizens can view CRS and the annual report of Medically certified causes of death for various years. Check the process to view ejanma year-wise Vital Statistic Reports shared as under-
- Visit the official portal of ejanMa
- Click on “Vital Statistic Report” link.
- Choose the year given under the “Annual Vital Statistics Report-CRS” and “Medically Certified Cause of Death Annual Report” menu.
- The report pdf for selected year will open.
- Go through the report and download the same for further references.
Users can also give their feedback on ejanma portal. To provide feedback they have to-
- Ejanma Karnataka portal first.
- On the homepage, click on “Feedback” option.
- Feedback form will open on the screen.
- They can select Details options- Suggestion or Complaints.
- If Suggestion is selected then fill details like Birth/death, Name, E-mail Id, Mobile No., OTP, Message, Captcha code.
- If Complaint option is selected then fill details- Birth/death, District, Taluk, Registration Center, Name, E-mail Id, Mobile No., OTP, Message, Captcha code.
- Click “Submit”.
Timeline & Fee Structure of Civil Registration in Karnataka
Have a look at the timeline details under which citizens should register for Births and Deaths in the state. Here we have also provided information about the reporting period, related rules, registering authority for each type of certificate, search and extract a fee for each event.
|After 21 days but within 30 days
|Rs.5/- per copy
|After 30 days but within 1 year
|Registrar with the order of CO/Tahsildar/Commissioner
|Rs.5/- per copy
|After 1 year
|Registrar only on the order JMFC (Judicial Magistrate First Class)
|Rs.5/- per copy
|Birth Reporting Form (Form 1)
|Death Reporting Form (Form 2)
|Still Birth Reporting (Form 3)
|Ejanma karnataka login
|Vital Statistical report
|EjanMa Registration Details
In case of any technical query related to the portal, citizens can contact at the details shared below-
Phone No.- 080-22869711, 080-22869721, 080-22869731, 080-22869751 (only during the office hours i.e., from 10 am to 5 pm)
Total Free- 1800-425-6578
No, citizens are not required to compulsorily have an Aadhaar Number for registration as per the RGI guidelines.
E-Janma is a single portal for handling all the activities related to Birth/death/stillbirth registrations in Karnataka. It is has been now implemented through the state.
No, citizens can only verify their certificates on this portal. Certificate download facility is not available for citizens as of now.
eJanMa was implemented through the state from 1st July 2018. Now, all the registrations of Births and Deaths that occur in Karnataka are made through ejanma.karnataka.gov.ine.
The reporting period for registration of Births and Deaths is within 21 days from the date of occurrence of the event.
No, citizens cannot apply through the portal. They can only view information related to the certificates on the portal.
No, private hospitals must ensure that they register the event positively within 21 days of the occurrence of the event.
Yes, users can reset the login password of ejanma portal. The complete process is shared in this article.
No, the death of such citizens is not registered in Karnataka. There is another rule for such deaths and are registered at Indian Consulates as per the Citizenship Act 1955.
No, the Birth certificate issued in Karnataka does not have any validity and can be used throughout life.
Yes, one can obtain a birth certificate without the name of the newborn. Parents can add the name of the child in due course and get the updated certificate.
Yes, citizens can obtain more than one copy of the certificates.
No, the login module is only for the registrars/ data operators in the state. Login facility for citizens is currently not available on the portal.
Village Accountants, Medical Officers, etc. are the approving authorities. They must get a digital signature to approve an application.
The public can verify Birth and Death certificates through the eJanma portal. On this portal, they can click on the “Birth /Death Verification” option to get their certification verified by providing the required details.
In case of any query related to Ejanma Karnatak, write us in the comment section. Our team will revert to it as soon as possible.