Climate change is one of the serious problems that the world is facing and fuel operated motor vehicles are the major cause behind this problem. To reduce harmful gases in the atmosphere, the Gujarat government has announced to make the use of battery-powered vehicles popular in the state. To encourage people to invest in battery-operated two-wheelers and three-wheelers, the Chief Minister of Gujarat Vijay Rupani has decided to provide a subsidy on e-scooters/Rickshaw through a scheme called Gujarat Two Wheeler yojana.
You can read this article till the end to make yourself aware of this innovative scheme, the Application process to apply online, benefits, features of the scheme etc.
Table of Contents
Gujarat Two Wheeler Scheme 2023
Gujarat Two-Wheeler Scheme was announced by the Gujarat Chief Minister on 18th September 2021 to commemorate the birthday of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. On this occasion, CM announced to provide subsidy for purchase of electric two-wheelers such as e-scooters, bikes etc. and also for three-wheelers such as e-Rikshaw. All the students of the state will be covered under this scheme. Under this scheme, a subsidy of Rs.12000/- to purchase battery-operated two-wheelers will be offered to the students of the entire state of Gujarat. Along with this, the government has also extended their support to individuals and institutional beneficiaries for the purchase of battery-operated three-wheelers such as e-Rikshaws, e-carts. For this, the government will provide a subsidy of Rs.48000 for the purchase of 5000 battery-enabled rikshaws. The scheme was announced to encourage the utilization of electric vehicles to forestall air pollution.
Key points of Gujarat Two-Wheeler Scheme
|Name of the scheme||Gujarat Two Wheeler Scheme|
|Category||Gujarat State Government Yojana|
|Date of scheme announcement||18th September 2020|
|Implementing Authority||Gujarat Energy Development Authority (GEDA)|
|Concerned Department||Climate Change Department, Government of Gujarat|
|Launched by||CM Vijay Rupani|
|Benefit||Subsidy to purchase electric two-wheelers & Three Wheelers|
|Beneficiary||Students studying in Class 9th to 12th & College|
|Objective||To promote the use of electric vehicles in the state|
|Mode of application||N/A|
|Official portal (GEDA)||geda.gujarat.gov.in|
Benefits of Gujarat E- Scooter Scheme
As fuel price is rising governments are moving their focus on the use of non-conventional/ renewable sources of energy. Governments (state and central) have introduced various schemes and programs to encourage citizens to buy battery-operated vehicles rather than buying vehicles running on fuel. Check what are the major benefits of using battery/ electricity operated vehicles in this section below-
- The dependency on fuel (petrol/ diesel etc.) to run vehicles get decreased.
- Limits the use of fuel-based vehicle and thus protect environment from harmful gases.
- Facilitates the use of eco-friendly vehicles.
- Most of the battery-operated vehicles are low speed vehicles and are thus exempted from Driver’s license and other RTO related procedures.
- Reduced noise pollution
- Reasonable and batteries can be charged at home only.
Features of Gujarat E- Scooter Scheme
- The scope of this scheme is extended across the state.
- Only students up to class 12th and college students are covered under this scheme.
- The scheme is implemented by Gujarat Energy Development Authority (GEDA).
- Government has targeted to provide assistance in the form of Subsidy to purchase 10000 electricity operated two wheelers.
- The subsidy provided to the students will be deposited directly to the bank accounts of the students through Direct Bank Transfer (DBT) mode.
- In case the number of applications for availing the benefit of this scheme is more than the prescribed number than the selection of candidates will be done of the basis of basis of marks secured.
- Students coming from economically backward sections will be given priority.
- After verifying the classification of battery enabled two-wheelers under this scheme as per CMVR (18), it will be compulsory for beneficiary to get a driver license if the vehicle is a motor vehicle.
- Along with this scheme, a subsidy scheme worth Rs.5,00000 was also announced to establish infrastructure facility for charging these battery-operated vehicles
Advantages of Gujarat Two-Wheeler Scheme
- Subsidy to school and college going students for purchase of electric two wheelers.
- Use of two-wheeler will encourage people to use clean fuel.
- This scheme is environment friendly and propagates a message to minimise the use of fossil fuels to prevent air pollution.
- Reduced burden on fossil fuel
- Reduced air and noise pollution
- Setting up of infrastructure for charging electric vehicles in state will also generate employment opportunities for locals.
- Beneficiaries with electric- vehicles no longer have to wait for public transfer to commute to the school/ college or any other destination.
This particular scheme of the Gujarat government is not for all the citizens of the state. It covers only a certain section as per the specification from the government. Those who wish to avail of benefits under this scheme must ensure that they fulfil all the eligibility requirements. Have a look at the basic eligibility conditions required to be fulfilled by the beneficiaries given below-
- The applicant should be a permanent resident of Gujarat.
- Applicant must be a student studying in class 9th to 12th in a recognized school of the state.
- College students are also eligible to get benefit under this scheme.
- All Boys and girls are eligible for this scheme.
Gujarat Two-Wheeler Scheme Documents Required
To verify the eligibility for the scheme, applicants have to produce all the supporting documents and details. These documents mainly include-
- Aadhaar Card of the student
- Proof of residence/ Domicile certificate
- School/ College education certificate issued by the school/ college in which student is currently enrolled
- Bank details of the students/ passbook
- Passport sized photograph of the applicant
- Valid mobile number
All the documents are to produce at the time of application positively by the applicants.
Application Process for Gujarat E-Scooter/Rickshaw Subsidy Scheme
The implementation authority has not specified any official application process or online portal for this scheme as of now. As soon as any new notification regarding the application process will be issued, we will update the same here. You can have a quick look at the important details of the application process given as under-
- Only eligible applicants should apply for this scheme.
- Applications are to be submitted within the stipulated time.
- Applicants have to submit all the required documents along with the application form.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- In case of applications more than the specified number, selection of most eligible student will made on the basis of his/marks in the current year.
- Applications submitted by the minority students will be given preference.
- After successful submission of application, applicants should not forget to get the application slip/reference id etc. With this they can track the application status.
After submission of application forms, applicants can track the processing status. Using the application details received at the time of the application process, they can track the application status.
Reimbursement of Subsidy
Once the application will be approved by the concerned authority, the benefit will be allotted to the beneficiaries. The subsidy of Rs.12000/- to each beneficiary will be transferred directly to the registered bank account of the student through the mode of DBT. Students are therefore advised to furnish accurate bank account details at the time of registration. They can check the subsidy transfer status online regularly after the submission of the application.
Hope the information provided here about Gujarat Two-Wheeler Scheme was helpful. In case of any assistance related to this article, feel free to share your doubts with us in the comment section.