Affordable Rental Housing Scheme is an initiative by the Government of India to help improve the livelihood conditions of the poor people and migrants in the country. This scheme offers affordable houses to the poor citizens of the country surviving among the urban population of the country encompassing the vision of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
Therefore, through this article, we will share a piece of detailed information on the ARHC scheme. Readers of the post will get the information on the Scheme, related objectives, who can be the beneficiaries of the scheme, application process, benefits, registration, login, and more. Also, readers will get information on the housing models under the scheme.
Table of Contents
Affordable Rental Housing Scheme – Overview
|Article Category||Central Government Schemes|
|Name of the Scheme||Affordable Rental Housing Scheme|
|Level||National Level Scheme|
|Department||Ministry Of Housing And Urban Affairs, Government of India|
|Launched by||Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi|
|Scheme Objective||Provide rental houses to the poor and migrants|
|Beneficiaries||Urban Poor and Migrants in India|
|Helpline||Phone no.- 011-23063266/ 23063285|
Email at- firstname.lastname@example.org
Affordable Rental Housing Scheme 201
The scheme of Affordable Rental Housing was launched by the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi. The housing scheme was launched as a part of the All India Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. The policy was formulated by the central government to support the migrants in the country. The scheme is a part of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Urban also by the Central Government.
The scheme aims to extend help to the poor and migrants surviving among the urban population of the country. The cabinet of the country gave its approval for the scheme on the 8th of July, 2020, including the migrants who migrated back due to the pandemic. In the Union budget 2021-22, the government has proposed an exemption for these rental houses.
All the houses to be converted Affordable rental houses will be the already existing vacant government houses. Apart from this, there will also be privately constructed houses as a part of the public-private partnership. Also, most of the houses will be made on the already vacant land and are aimed to remain functional for at least 25 years.
Under the scheme, about 40 houses are to be constructed will all the basic amenities including the bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. The maximum size of the houses will be up to two rooms and the maximum floor area of 60 sq. m. The local authorities across the state will be the body responsible for the construction and allocation of the houses.
Special Features of the Scheme
- The scheme offers affordable houses to the migrants of the country.
- With the scheme, the government of India aims to provide these rental houses to everyone by 2023.
- As a part of the scheme, an amount of Rs. 1.5 lakh will be deducted from the interest payment.
- The provision of interest payment has also been extended by 2023.
- There is no taxation on these rental houses till 2023. More exemptions will be provided in the future.
Housing Scheme Objectives
The scheme of Rental Housing Scheme comes with some strong foundational objectives. Some of these are:
- Advancing the Atma Nirbhar Bharat Vision of the Government.
- Rendering affordable rental housing to the urban migrants and poor in the country.
- Accomplish the objective of housing for all.
- Sustaining all the urban poor and migrants by providing them affordable houses near to their workplace.
- Offer essential and basic civic facilities to the poor people in the country.
- Creating investment opportunities in the area of housing.
- Assisting the workforce of the nation.
- Using the vacant land for providing housing facilities to the poor.
States under the Affordable Rental Housing Scheme
As the Scheme of ARHC is centrally sponsored, the government of the state is a major stakeholder for the policy implementation in the respective states of the country. The state and the Union Territories in the country have to sign up a pact/ agreement to be a part of the scheme. So, there are 24 states/ UTs among the 36 states/ UTs which are willing to sign a pact with the central government for the allotment of these rental houses. The states are:
|Assam||Andhra Pradesh||Bihar||Daman & Diu||Puducherry||Sikkim|
|Madhya Pradesh||Punjab||Mizoram||Uttar Pradesh||Rajasthan||Nagaland|
What are the benefits of the Affordable Rental Housing Scheme?
Some of the benefits that come along with the scheme of Affordable Rental Housing are given below.
- Effective utilisation of the Vacant lands.
- Economical and Productive use of vacant government houses.
- A decent living environment for the Urban poor and Migrants in the country.
- Promoting new Investment opportunity and Entrepreneurship in the housing sector.
- Strengthening the system of Municipal Finances.
- Sustained Workforce of the nation and enhancement of the productivity in all sectors.
Who can apply for the ARHC Scheme?
The Government of India has specified the set of citizen groups who will be observed as the beneficiaries under the scheme. These are:
- Urban Migrants or Poor People living in Urban Areas.
- Industrial workers/ Migrant workers working in Hospitality, Hospitals, Marketing or Trade Institution/ Educational Institution or any health institution.
- Citizens belonging to Economically Weaker Section or Lower Income Group (LIG) category.
- Rickshaw Pullers, Street Vendors and other basic service providers.
- Long term tourists
- Any Vulnerable Category
NOTE: LIG households will include families with annual income anywhere between Rs. 3 Lakh to Rs. 6 Lakh.
Housing Models under Affordable Rental Housing Scheme
The houses under the scheme will cover the area which will be different for each type of house model. All of the models will consist of the basic facilities of kitchen and bathroom. There are three types of housing models under the Affordable Rental Housing Scheme. These are:
|S.No.||House type||Total Area||Structure||Ratio|
|I.||Dormitory||10 sq. m. (max)||Toilet|
A Side table
|Varying as per the requirement of the project.|
|II.||Single Bedroom||30 sq. m. (max)||Living Room|
|Varying as per the requirement of the project.|
|III.||Double Bedroom||60 sq. m. (max)||Living Room|
Two Bed Room
|33% of the total dwelling is admissible.|
Affordable Rental Housing Scheme Implementation
For the implementation of the scheme, the Government of India has created a National Housing Bank. The fund is created with an amount of money of Rs. 1,000 crores through which the financial assistance will be provided to the Housing Finance Companies.
All these finance companies will be eligible to get loans covering all the urban and rural areas of the country. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will be the head body regulating the fund flow in the scheme.
- All the projects under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Scheme will be on implementation till March 2023.
- The projects approved to be part of the scheme will be continued fr a period of 18 months to enable the funds allocated under the scheme.
ARHC Registration @arhc.mohua.gov.in
The registration under the Affordable Rental Housing Scheme is open for all private and public entities. Applicants who wish to be the beneficiary under the scheme can register for the scheme. To register, citizens can follow the steps detailed below.
Step 1: Visit the official portal of the Affordable Rental housing Scheme (ARHC). On the open home page, citizens will see the option of Registration available on the menu bar. Click on the option.
Step 2: Clicking on the Registration button, users will be directed to another page which will be the Login Page. On the login page, citizens will see the option of Register on the portal. Click on the option.
Step 3: Clicking on the Register button, a new page will open up with the application form for Expression of Interest (EOI).
Step 4: Insert all the essential details about the business like Name of Enterprise/ Business, Type of Organisation/ Busines, Owner Name, Aadhar related details, Address and Postal Code. Applicants will also need a valid email ID and mobile number as contact information.
Step 5: After completing the application, citizens will have to simply verify the CAPTCHA code and click on the Submit button located on the page.
How to Login to the ARHC portal?
Applicants who have already registered on the portal will be able to log in through the same portal. To log in, applicants can follow these steps:
- Visit the official website portal of the ARHC.
- On the open home page, citizens will see the option of ‘LOGIN‘ on the page. Click on the option and proceed.
- Clicking on the option of LOGIN users will be directed to the login page.
- Now the applicants will have to insert their User ID, Password and Captcha code.
- After that, click on the Submit button located on the page.
You will be logged in to your user profile.
|Official Website||Click Here|
|Registration by Private and Public Entities||Register Here|
|ARHC Login||Click Here|
|Affordable Rental Housing Scheme Guidelines||Check Here|
Frequently Asked Questions
All the private and public stakeholders under the scheme can easily apply for the scheme through the ARHC portal by the Government of India. Citizens will have to register to apply for the scheme. To register on the portal, all the citizens can follow the steps described in the article above.
It is a rental housing scheme for all the poor citizens of the country residing in the urban areas who cannot afford houses to live in. The scheme is also proposed for the poor migrants of the country who had to go back due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The scheme was launched on 8 July 2020 for the first time for all the poor migrants who were migrated to their home states due to the coronavirus pandemic situation in the country.
The Government of the country has created a special fund for the scheme under the National Housing Bank. Financial assistance to all the companies will be under the bank but RBI will cover the loans-related assistance for the scheme.
For any questions/ suggestions related to the article, readers can comment in the box below. We shall be delighted to hear you!